Current:Home > reviewsCharles Barkley says he will retire from television after 2024-25 NBA season -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Charles Barkley says he will retire from television after 2024-25 NBA season
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 10:47:48
Nobody knows if "Inside the NBA" will last beyond next season, as Warner Bros. Discovery vies for a spot in the next NBA media rights deal.
One of its key — and most outspoken — members is apparently taking matters into his own hands.
Basketball Hall of Famer and "Inside the NBA" analyst Charles Barkley said after Game 4 of the NBA Finals on Friday that next season will be his last with the program regardless if it continues after next season – and that after the 2024-25 season he will be done with NBA television in its entirety.
Barkley has not been afraid to share his perspective as TNT's parent company has tried to retain its ability to broadcast NBA games beyond next season. According to multiple reports, ESPN, Amazon and NBC are primed to be the rightsholders in the league's next broadcast contract.
"I want to say this because you guys are my family. I really love TNT, all the people who work here, NBA television. You guys have been great to me for 24 years. I just want to say thank you to my entire NBA family. I love you guys," Barkley said on NBA TV's postgame coverage after the Mavericks' 122-84 victory.
Charles Barkley says he's retiring from NBA television after 2025-26
Barkley admitted to taking meetings with other networks to potentially stay in NBA media following the 2024-25 season.
"There's been a lot of noise around our network the last few months. And I just want to say – I've talked to all the other networks, but I ain't going nowhere other than TNT," Barkley said. "But I have made the decision myself. No matter what happens, next year is going to be my last year on television. And I just want to say thank you to my NBA family. You guys have been great to me. My heart is full with joy and gratitude."
Barkley said he wants to "pass the baton" to another generation of analysts, such as Vince Carter and Jamal Crawford, at the end of next season. He also said that he was done giving interviews about his future prospects.
Barkley put WBD CEO David Zaslav on blast recently for his past comments about the company's relationship with the NBA.
In a May appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show,” Barkley revealed that “morale sucks” on "Inside the NBA" as the crew navigated the uncertainty that came with the negotiations between the company and league.
"These people I work with, they screwed this thing up, clearly," Barkley told Patrick. "We don't have zero idea what's going to happen. I don't feel good, I'm not going to lie."
After speculation that Barkley could exit his contract with Turner Sports if the company lost rights to NBA games, "Sir Charles" seemingly shot the idea down Friday night.
"I'm not going to another network," he said.
In a statement issued Saturday, TNT Sports said Barkley "is a Hall of Famer and broadcasting icon who is and will always be a beloved member of the TNT Sports family."
"We’re looking forward to another fantastic NBA on TNT season and further discussion of our future plans with him," the statement said.
Barkley finished his announcement by saying: "Next year, I'm going to just retire after 25 years. I just wanted to say thank you and wanted you all to hear it from me first."
Barkley joined "Inside the NBA" in 2000 following the conclusion of his Hall of Fame playing career. Ernie Johnson hosts the program, while Shaquille O'Neal and Kenny "The Jet" Smith are Barkley's fellow analysts.
veryGood! (175)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Survival teacher Woniya Thibeault was asked about a nail salon. Instead, she won 'Alone.'
- Costa Rican soccer player killed in crocodile attack after jumping into river
- Probe of whether police inaction contributed to any deaths in Robb attack is stalled
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Possible explosion at Sherwin-Williams plant in Texas, police say
- Dozens saved by Italy from migrant shipwrecks; some, clinging to rocks, plucked to safety by copters
- Austria's leader wants to make paying with cash a constitutional right
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- California authorities capture suspects in break-ins at Lake Tahoe homes: a mama bear and three cubs
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Extreme heat, the most lethal climate disaster
- What's next for Simone Biles? After dominant return, 2024 Paris Olympics beckon
- 3 dead, dozens injured as tour bus carrying about 50 people crashes on Pennsylvania highway
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Russia blasts Saudi Arabia talks on ending war in Ukraine after Moscow gets no invitation to attend
- Penguins acquire 3-time Norris Trophy-winning defenseman Erik Karlsson in a trade with the Sharks
- Photos give rare glimpse of history: They fled the Nazis and found safety in Shanghai
Recommendation
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Austria's leader wants to make paying with cash a constitutional right
Bachelor Nation Status Check: Which Couples Are Still Continuing Their Journey?
Livestreamer Kai Cenat charged after giveaway chaos at New York's Union Square Park
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Cambodia’s king appoints army chief Hun Manet as successor to his father, long-ruling Hun Sen
CBS News poll finds after latest Trump indictment, many Americans see implications for democracy. For some, it's personal
Queen Latifah, Chuck D and more rap legends on ‘Rapper’s Delight’ and their early hip-hop influences